Tuesday 14 October 2008

Thanksgiving Celebration

Last night we had Thanksgiving dinner with my parents, my sisters and their families at my sister Gayle's home. Gayle had hung streamers and balloons in the living/dining room. There was a large sign in the dining room window that said "Celebrate You!". While I had noticed these things, I did not think too much about them since it was soon time to eat. My brother-in-law was asked to say grace , so he said "Grace" and then he prayed. Gayle said "Debbie, you go first." I just thought it was because I had my birthday last month and this was the first family dinner we had had since.

The food was good and the conversation varied from one topic to another. A couple of us said we should wait a bit before having our dessert; a few, mostly males, groaned in response. The table was cleared of the dinner plates and condiments. There was a flurry of activity in the kitchen and then quiet conversing.

My mom asked that my husband Dan sit beside me near the aforementioned sign. Gayle then said "We want to celebrate you!". My parents had purchased a bottle of champagne and a bottle of non-alcoholic champagne. The drinks were poured into small plastic glasses and everyone took one. Dan proposed a toast and thanked the Lord for healing me. There wasn't the usual "clink" as we touched each others glasses, but the joy of celebrating God's faithfulness was evident. My sister Brenda had tears in her eyes as Dan spoke. We all were aware of how far I had come from a year ago Thanksgiving. Last year I just sat while the whirl of activity happened all around me. This year I had an active role and contributed to the meal.

It was fitting to do our "Champagne Celebration" on Thanksgiving Monday. We had first thought of it when I was in the midst of receiving chemotherapy. In addition, we originally wanted to have a bottle of inexpensive champagne to shake like people do after a great victory. Maybe we'll do that in the spring when we can be outdoors. That would also be my one year anniversary of being cancer free.


"Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do." Ecclesiastes 9:7 (NIV)


"One generation will commend your works to another; they will tell of your mighty acts. They will speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty, and I will meditate on your wonderful works. They will tell of the power of your awesome works, and I will proclaim your great deeds. They will celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness." Psalm 145: 4-7 (NIV)

2 comments:

littlesis said...

This was definitely a Thanksgiving full of thanksgiving! It was wonderful to see you feeling and looking so well!

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful, Debbie! When I think about 1 year ago, I would hate to repeat that. The mood at the table was certainly more solemn. What a lot has happened this past year. I truly do Celebrate You, my lovely, dear sister. and I can't wait to celebrate your one year cancer free mark!!!
love, Gayle

Related Posts with Thumbnails