Saturday 20 December 2008

If Life Was a Musical

As I was looking out the living room window at the bird feeder, that is attached to our front deck, the song "Feed The Birds" from Mary Poppins came to mind. I have not thought of that song for years! It got me wondering what my life would be like if I was to break out into song as I went about my day. It is not unusual for people to sing along with the radio or a CD, but to spontaneously break out into song about one's life and daily activities would be thought unusual.

When I was younger I loved to watch old movies on TV that were musicals. I never found it strange that people would suddenly break out into song. I was a young child when The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins came to the theatre; and Julie Andrews became my heroine. Recently I have seen other musicals such as Hairspray.

There are times that I do break out into song, though it is when I am home alone. They are praise choruses that seem to just bubble up from within and overflow my being; I love to worship God with song. Maybe I might try singing about my daily activities the next time I am home alone. A song with the words "Washing the dishes, Lord; washing the dishes; living for Your glory; washing the dishes" just came to mind. I do not remember where I first learned that song but maybe it is one I will incorporate into my daily life!

"So here's what I want you to do, God helping you. Take your everyday, ordinary life - your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life- and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him." Romans 12:1 (Message)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails