Wednesday 7 January 2009

A Special Friend

My journey of overcoming ovarian cancer was definitely a shared journey. While I have written about some of the people who have been a support along the way, there is a special friend, Anita, who has also played an integral part.

Anita made herself available to visit me "at the spur of the moment" when I was first in the hospital in September 2007. While I was in the hospital Anita and my daughter cleaned my house in preparation for my homecoming. Later, she accompanied me when my wig was available for fitting. Anita knew how I longed to have a "normal" life and she sought to find ways for me to have one. While my parents were away in Barbados, Anita spent the day with me as I received my final chemotherapy treatment. Another day Anita spent several hours at my home so that I would not be alone, in case I needed anything.

Anita has seen me at my lowest points and she has been a caring friend. I know that she has prayed for me as well. For my birthday Anita gave me a photo album and scrapbooking supplies so that I can document my journey in pictorial form. We will work on it together, since she has lots of scrapbooking tools. That will be a fitting way to end off our shared journey of my overcoming ovarian cancer, but it won't be the ending of our special friendship.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Debbie. Some years ago you said that you sensed we were kindred spirits. And it's true. Even though there is an age difference and we have varied interests, there is a strong bond that is from the Lord. My life is richer because of our friendship. I am honoured to be a part of your journey.
Blessings always.
Anita

Belinda said...

What a precious gift that God gave you such a true friend.

Related Posts with Thumbnails