Thursday 14 June 2007

An Evening Boat Ride

There are benefits to living close to a river. We are a five minute drive from the Holland River, which runs into Lake Simcoe. We recently purchased a used 14 foot Legend aluminium boat. My husband, Dan, and our two sons have gone fishing quite regularly since acquiring this boat. They have found a dynamite fishing spot near the mouth of the river and the lake. They have caught several large pike and even some nice bass; but they had to throw them back since bass weren't in season.

I had not yet taken a boat ride, but Dan had promised to take me out after work. Tonight was the night. I had only been on the river once before, in the winter when we had walked on the ice. There are so many twists and turns. We saw osprey, blue herons and cormorants. As we headed out from town we passed yachts; sea planes; houseboats; and other types of water craft. There is a little community there.

As we were going up the river I felt like we were far from civilization. It reminded me of times when we have been at a cottage or camping. There is a sense of freedom on the water. It takes about 20 minutes to get from town to the mouth of the river. We had just enough time to go there and back before the sun was beginning to set.

As we were boating I had a deep sense of satisfaction. At that moment in time I was completely content. Thankfulness to God welled up in my spirit. I was thankful for the Lord blessing us with this boat; I was thankful for my husband taking me on this boat ride to show me what he and the boys experienced and where they fished.

We will probably fish there sometime. I have my fishing licence; but I only enjoy fishing when the fish are actually biting! I usually take along a book to occupy me when I get tired of the process and the fish aren't biting. I am looking forward to trying out the dynamite fishing spot; if I go by past results I should be able to catch something worthwhile too!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails