Monday 26 May 2008

God Directs Our Steps

On Saturday, I accompanied my husband Dan and our youngest son Tim to the University of Toronto (U of T). Tim has been accepted to their "Track One" Engineering; it is a first year of undeclared field of interest that deals with the various disciplines of engineering.

It has been a long process coming to this point. It had been hard for me to have an active role since I was undergoing chemo and not up to going to check out various universities. When I had chemo brain fog it was hard to think straight and to process the pros and cons. Dan took a more active role in taking Tim to a university fair, where they gathered brochures from various universities. Tim and I then went through them and weeded out the ones that didn't offer the specific courses he was interested in. We then discovered two in Toronto which offered a first year of general engineering and then the following years would be in the area of interest; be it civil, mechanical, chemical or computer to name a few. Tim applied to both of these universities and was accepted. He then needed to decide which offer of admission he would accept.

I had a dream one evening that I was in downtown Toronto. I met my dad as I was standing on the street near the GO train station. My dad said he was going to walk home through the buildings (There is a series of underground paths that do connect a number of buildings in the downtown core). I decided that I would walk home too. I entered a building and on my right I saw a room of people wearing protective gear and goggles. They had cameras on tripods and Rubik's Cubes were on top of the cameras. A person approached me and I asked about their activity. She took off her goggles and said, "We're engineers". I said, "My son wants to be an engineer and he has a camera, what is the Rubik's Cube for?" She said, " It has to do with physics". When we received the acceptance package from U of T, it had a picture of a Rubik's Cube on the front cover! Also, the professor in charge of Track One Engineering is a woman! In discussing the aspect of both universities, we came to the conclusion that U of T was the university for Tim.

When we were sitting in the presentation by the Track One program, I was further encouraged by the rightness of our choice. We heard several students' experiences. A couple of them had been considering two particular disciplines of engineering, but as a result of this program they chose a completely different discipline to major in. The Track One students are considered the cream of the crop in engineering; all of the Core 8 disciplines want to woo them to their area of study. Once a month each department hosts a lunch for the students and the head professor and upper students, including graduate students, share their experiences; what jobs are available; what new and exciting things they are doing and studying. That was further confirmation to me that Tim is in the right university and the right program. I believe that God will continue to direct Tim into the area of engineering he is to major in.

"We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps." Proverbs 16:9 (NLT)

"The steps of the godly are directed by the Lord. He delights in every detail of their lives." Psalm 37:23 (NLT)

1 comment:

littlesis said...

Ahhh...tears again!
It's exciting to hear about doors opening up for your children (now adults themselves!). I am so proud of them.
I can't wait to see where this takes Tim...
And I love the verse in Prov. (one of my favourites!).

Related Posts with Thumbnails