Wednesday 6 August 2008

Looking Back

It was traumatic being ill with ovarian cancer. The treatment and subsequent side-effects added further trauma. My family had to cope with this as I was going through it; but now that I am well, they have moved on. I, on the other hand, did not experience the full impact of the trauma as I was going through it. All my energy and focus was on making it through treatment and surgery. As I am in new situations or returning to familiar activities the emotional impact of the trauma is released. Recently I was looking through the plastic container that held my medicine for a small pill holder. I had waves of emotion and memories flood over me.

When I had ovarian cancer and was undergoing treatment I felt as though I was a "prisoner" in my own body. I had no real control over my body or my life at that time. The cancer caused my body to react by producing fluid (ascities) in my abdomen, which I needed to have drained on several occasions. It was rather scary the first time, but I wanted relief: they ended up draining about 7 litres of fluid! I had it drained three more times and it was progressively less fluid each time, as the chemo was destroying the cancer cells. I also had lost a lot of weight - probably between 25 and 30 pounds. Many times right after receiving chemo I did not feel like eating for the first few days, or I was too nauseous to keep anything down. When I eventually did eat, I concentrated on high protein foods and I supplemented my diet with "Ensure". I was trying to regain weight in order to build up my strength to cope with the chemotherapy treatments. These were times I would not want to repeat.

I need to write my story; I need to release all that is inside. It has taken tremendous emotional energy to bring me through to where I am now. I was encouraged to remain positive. That has helped me "find the silver lining in every cloud" I faced.


When I look at the pictures of me without hair or with very little hair, I am shocked at how I looked. I am often smiling in these pictures. I do not recall any negative feedback from my family while I was going through it. They accepted my hair loss and I accepted it; we had no control over it. This is what I had written in my journal on October 30 2007, "Last night I was so full of praise to God. I told Dan [my husband] that I wished that Jesus was right here so that I could hug Him. I right away had the sense that Jesus was hugging me; holding me close to His heart. I looked just how I look now - shorn head with balding spots and yet I was safe in His arms."

2 comments:

littlesis said...

Yes, there's an incredible story waiting to be told. Tell it; not only will you find "release", you may be the voice for someone else who have gone through a similar experience.

You were and are an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

yes, I agree, tell it!!! You have been so courageous and there are other women out there who need to hear about all of your emotions. It is ALWAYS reassuring to connect with someone who has gone through what you are going through and who understands.
love your anonymous sister, Gayle

Related Posts with Thumbnails