Tuesday 29 July 2008

An Encourager On The Sidelines

I would like to honour a man, my dad, who has been a great encourager to me, on this journey of overcoming ovarian cancer.

My father has not idly watched me, but rather he has spoken many words of encouragement. He has also lifted me up in prayer to my Heavenly Father; Dad knew that only God could intervene and bring me through victoriously.

My dad has also willingly "stepped in" when needed. During the early days right after receiving chemo, I always had someone at home with me. Dad took several turns to "be on call" should I need anything. One time he drove me to Emergency when I had troubling side-effects, and my husband met me there. My father has also driven my mother and me to the hospital for my chemotherapy treatments.

The encouragement has continued, but now the focus has been on my hair's growth. Dad made positive comments as my hair poked through; slowly filled in; and grew. I know that my father will continue to be an encourager to me, as he often has an encouraging word in response to what I have just written on my blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our dad is amazing. He has a great sense of humor but also a caring, sensitive side. I am so thankful that mom and dad are healthy and live with you. Who would have thought what a blessing that would turn out to be when you first made this living arrangement. I know if I needed to go anywhere I could call dad and he would say yes no problem. When Brenda and I asked him to volunteer at the Celebrate luncheon that raises $ for Ovarian Cancer Canada, and his job would be just to sit in the volunteer room and guard the personal items, he immediately said yes. That was such a needed job, but not very exciting. We are very fortunate to have such great parents. Thanks dad for being such a presence in Debbie's life when things were so scarey.
Love, Gayle

littlesis said...

Dad has always been a caring and 'near-to-you' kind of father but these traits have been especially evident since your diagnosis and treatment. I know his fatherly heart causes him to reach out in prayer and in practical ways for you.

Just now I'm remembering that old photograph of you as a baby (at a cottage?) in his arms. He's smiling with pride for his firstborn (but no favourites in our family, of course!!!). He's still as supportive and filled with love to this day. With Gayle, I too say, "thanks dad".

Related Posts with Thumbnails