Wednesday 2 April 2008

Slip, Sliding Away!

The title "Slip, Sliding Away" came to me as I was thinking about my wig and the tendency for it to slip, or feel like it has slipped, when I am wearing it for a while. Today I saw a picture that my mother recently took of me, my sisters and our cousins. My wig is pushed back and my forehead is exposed. The proper positioning of my wig is such that my eyebrows,or lack of them, are mostly hidden. I can have different looks in the same day without even knowing it! I don't think that my wig would actually fall off unless I was nodding my head vigorously or bobbing around a lot. I don't think I want to try that just in case!

People are often surprised to know that I am wearing a wig, which helps me not to feel self-conscious. I have gotten used to wearing it, but I still feel as if I am looking at someone else who resembles me whenever I see a photograph of me in my wig. I think I look more like myself when I am wearing a hat or when I am bald-headed.

We have been recording my journey with digital pictures, but they have not yet been developed. I was told by someone that they had regretted not having pictures of them without any hair. Yesterday I saw a picture of a hairstyle that I wouldn't mind trying; it was layered all over, and would look good straight or wavy. It would probably take a year or more for my hair to grow into the style of my wig. The advantage of being totally bald is that I get to start afresh and try different styles as my hair grows.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails