Monday 24 March 2008

Daylilies and Spurts of Energy

When others ask how I am doing, I reply, "Good". I have spurts of energy and then I am tired. When thinking about this "daylilies" came to mind. Each bloom lasts only one day, but as each flower stem will carry many buds, a mature plant will have many stems, so a plant will be in flower for many weeks.

I had a busy Easter weekend. We went to church for the Good Friday service. In the foyer after the service, I greeted an older couple with an embrace and exclaimed, "I made it!". Back in early December the husband had gone out of his way to encourage me. He had faced cancer and God had brought him through; God would bring me through it as well.

In the afternoon we got together with my mom's side of the family for a belated 70th birthday party for my aunt. While there I mingled with my relatives. I was tired when we got home and so I rested. Today, when talking with my sister, she said how her husband had remarked that I had acted like my usual healthy self.

Early Saturday morning we received a call from our bank manager. We could bring in our necessary documents so he could begin to process our financing. We need to purchase a vehicle as ours was written off as a result of an accident. We also needed to test drive the vehicle we were thinking of purchasing, and do grocery shopping as well. We managed to do all that and when I came home I laid down.

On Sunday morning we attended church. We were going to have my parents join us for a roast beef dinner later that evening. Since I was making a nice dinner and it was Easter, I decided to use my good china and silverware. I needed to polish the silver as it was tarnished, which only added to my workload. In between polishing the silver, peeling the potatoes, and setting the table, I rested in a recliner chair. I was exhausted by the end of the evening so others cleaned up, which was a blessing.

I may not have the energy and stamina that I once had before having ovarian cancer, but I am definitely a lot stronger and healthier than I have been since my diagnosis and treatment. I need to be thankful for the things I am able to do and accept my limitations without resentment. This is a season in my life that will not last forever. I need to appreciate the "daylilies" in my life until the "heartier flowers" are in bloom.

2 comments:

Belinda said...

Praising God with you for the "strength for the day" that he promises. You are loved and cared for dear friend.

littlesis said...

With all your references to flowers, you're getting a really green thumb!!!!
It is beyond wonderful to know you are feeling stronger and have more energy as the days go by. I am so happy for you and that together we can look toward a "blooming" future!

P.S. A roast beef dinner sounds delicious right about now! What a generous gift for you to do all that preparation for your family!

Related Posts with Thumbnails