Saturday 19 July 2008

Cottage Memories

A week ago at this time, my husband Dan and I were just ending a mini vacation at a cottage in Muskoka. We first went to this cottage nineteen years ago when Chris was 4 and Joy was 2. We had just finished unloading the car when we heard Chris crying loudly; he had tripped on his way into the cottage and had cut open his forehead. We all headed off to the hospital, which was 30 minutes away, for him to get stitches. We did not get back to the cottage until closer to midnight. One day during that week the four of us were in the lake; Joy and Chris had life jackets on and were sitting in inflatable toys. All of a sudden Joy was upside down with her feet in the air! I quickly turned her over. She was okay, it did not seem to faze her! Over the years we continued going to this cottage and we did not have any more personal mishaps.

Dan is an avid fisherman so it is quite natural that our children are also "fisherpeople". We have many pictures of these proud "fisherboys" and "fishergirl" with their catch of little fish. In proportion to their own size, these fish are quite big! Over the years the fish they have caught have increased in size and quantity. We have had many fish dinners over the years. Later, as the children grew, it was often the boys who would wake up early to go fishing with Dan. A small boat came with the cottage rental, but we had to borrow a boat motor. Now we bring our own boat and motor.

We have many happy memories of our times spent at this cottage. There were many evenings we had campfires or played different games. Now that the children are grown up and have jobs, they are not always able to go with us. Last year only Joy and Chris came as they were able to get time off; Tim was working at a job site in Ottawa so he was unable to come. This was the first year that only Dan and I were able to go, so we had split the week with my parents. We went up to the cottage on the Tuesday night right after an early supper. While we did have a nice time, I missed having the children there to enjoy it with us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe how old your children are!!!!My best memory of them at the cottage is when all three are in the water in life jackets with a huge smile on their faces!!! However, i do remember when we were up and Tim had his eyelashes stuck against his eyeball!! I couldn't even look at it (I don't do eyes well) but Randy easily unstuck them!!! I guess it makes me think about my own children growing up...while we still highly anticipate going to that same cottage, it won't be a whole lot longer before my kids are working and will be unable to come...makes me feel sad inside when I think about it....I admire how your kids like to be with their dad even still, especially to fish! That is so cool. You have great kids, Debbie- I have always believed that, but as they grow up i can see it more, and what a neat relationship you guys all have.
Now, will ya slow down a bit on your blog writing????I thought i was doing good and caught up after i responded last time and then i happened to check today and had to catch up on 3!!!!:) love you, Gayle

Related Posts with Thumbnails