Monday 16 July 2007

The Holy Spirit's Empowering

On Sunday our pastor spoke about the Baptism or filling of the Holy Spirit. One of the evidences of being filled with the Holy Spirit is being empowered to do things that we could not do in our own strength or ability. This past week I have recognized the working of the Holy Spirit in my own life.

My husband Dan and I were away at a cottage for a few days last week. The lake was calm and Dan wanted to launch his boat to take advantage of the lake conditions, since they are changeable. There is a public access point to the lake just north of the cottage. As he was backing the boat trailer into the water he had to keep going since the water was so shallow. Unfortunately the van got stuck while he was trying to drive out so he decided it would be best to put the boat back on the trailer and call CAA. Dan stayed with the van while I walked back to the cottage to make the phone call. I was informed that we either had to detach the boat and trailer or add "recreational vehicle" to Dan's membership, which we chose to do. Amazingly I was not stressed. I was a lot calmer than I would have been in the past. I recognized this as an evidence of the Holy Spirit's empowering in my life. This was an inward working of the fruit of the Spirit.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to dance in the church service for one song, Refiners Fire, using a "fire flag". Before the service the other dancers and I discussed how and where we would dance with our flags. Everything started the way it was planned and then one of the dancers decided to dance "as the Spirit led" so I was immediately put into a place of depending on the Holy Spirit to empower me to continue and to not freeze on the spot or panic. I was able to refocus on the Lord and finish the dance. This was an inward working of the Holy Spirit that resulted in outward action.

"But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Here there is no conflict with the law." Galatians 5: 22,23 (NLT)

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4 : 11b-13 (NIV)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails