Tuesday 17 June 2008

Wig-Free

I have "taken the plunge" by going without my wig in public. I have had a "love/hate" relationship with my wig. When I was losing my hair I appreciated having a "hair prosthesis" that helped to keep up the appearance of a normal healthy female. I grew accustomed to putting it on before I faced the public.

At first I disliked all the hair around my face. I could not tuck some hair behind my ears, as I was used to doing, because I did not have any "sideburns"; the hair that grows just in front of your ears. I often felt it was like I was wearing a mask, in that it hid the true state of my hair or lack of it.

My main reason for not wearing my wig was the fact that it is synthetic hair, so it was too hot to wear in the humid weather. So far I have had only positive feedback to such a short "hairstyle". If anyone has thought negatively, they have thankfully kept their criticism to themselves. My hair is downy soft and lies flat against my head. Today, though, I just noticed a tuft of hair sticking up. I wonder how I will like my hairstyle once it is "sticking up" all over!

1 comment:

littlesis said...

I always thought your wig looked really good on you--it was a natural style (i.e. not poofy, one of your original prerequisites!) and gave you a fresh, healthy look. It was there for you when you needed it most. Now that your own hair is growing in and your wig is really no longer needed I love your new look even better! It really is 'you'.

I feel so reassured and happy to see your hair grow in, not to mention how soft and lovely it is! And with tufts standing up, it sounds like you might have to start giving it some TLC (good thing you have Joy to help!).

Related Posts with Thumbnails