Tuesday 27 November 2007

Being "Normal"

When life is going as planned and we are healthy and "living our life", we can take normal everyday tasks for granted, and even resent having to do them. I was so weak and unable to perform even the simplest task. I needed assistance even to get dressed when I was experiencing the side-effects of Stemetil, the anti-nausea drug. Once it was discovered that I was extremely allergic to that particular drug and no longer taking it, I suddenly had the ability to dress myself. I began to start doing some everyday tasks such as setting the table and loading the dishwasher. Later, in the evening my arms and hands would ache because I hadn't used those muscles in over two months!

My husband and I went for a walk in the countryside one Saturday afternoon. It was so enjoyable to walk in the woods and to smell the autumn scents of decaying leaves. I had missed being outside and enjoying nature. It was so good to see where my husband and sons had gone for walks and taken pictures. It was a cool day, but I was bundled up. I hadn't pushed myself; we were taking it slowly and I was able to sit and rest before we headed back to our van. Later that evening my legs were sore. I hadn't used those muscles for over two months either. When I was taking Stemetil I could only shuffle or walk with assistance.

This last Thursday my good friend Anita took me to Soeby's, a local grocery store, and to Healthy By Choice, a new health food store and bakery where my daughter was now working. I hadn't been in Soeby's since it had changed over from being an IGA. Also I had been unable to attend the grand opening of Healthy By Choice since it occurred during the time I was in my "danger zone" when I am more susceptible to colds etc. It was so good to do something "normal" such as buying bananas in the grocery store and a specialty tea in the health food store.

Yesterday I had my second lunch with a couple of close friends from my past. It was so good to enjoy one another's company; talk about our lives and our shared faith. We did talk about me having cancer, but it was not the main focus of our time together. It was good to explore possible solutions to different situations; to laugh at ourselves; and just be "normal".

1 comment:

littlesis said...

Reading your last 2 blogs reminds me that really the most important "things" in life aren't things (to quote a cliche!). What is lasting and energizing is our faith in God, and our relationships wtih family and friends. I'm so glad that you've had a more "normal" week (I'll never complain about stacking the dishwasher again!) and for every expression of kindness and caring from those around you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails