Wednesday 12 March 2008

Enough, Already!

This recent snowfall of eighteen inches had many crying "Enough, already!" We have had lots of snow this winter and we were looking forward to milder weather. It is now March Break and Easter comes early this year. As my hair has again fallen out, leaving me with a bald head and odd-shaped patches of hair, I too cry out, "Enough, already!". I am tired of this winter season of my life and I long for spring.

Snow has its benefits in that it will help raise the water levels of the lakes and rivers. We did not get much rain last summer and the grass was burnt by the sun. I live near the Holland Marsh, which is Canada's main source of onions and carrots. The farmers use the water from the surrounding canals to irrigate.

These last two chemo treatments have their benefits in totally eradicating any residual cancer cells. The pathology report had shown cancer cells on the outside of the ovaries and fallopian tubes. My CA 125 level after my fifth chemo treatment was 12 (normal is 0-35), and I have had a sixth chemo treatment.

I am glad that this particular winter season of my life, in dealing with ovarian cancer, will not be repeated on a yearly basis! Just as the snow eventually melts; the temperature becomes warmer; and vegetation begins to grow; so too my winter season will come to an end. My new hair will probably start to grow and be visible when the trees are in bud! That is something I look forward to!

"As long as the earth remains, there will be springtime and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, day and night." Genesis 8:22 (NLT)

"You set the boundaries of the earth, and you make both summer and winter." Psalm 74:17 (NLT)

"There is a time for everything, a season for every activity under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NLT)

3 comments:

dancer's sister said...

I hadn't realized I had fallen so far behind in my blog reading! I know what you mean about the snow- it was with very little enthusiasm I shovelled the driveway and even our ice rink (yay me!)- I made sure the kids skated yesterday to make it worth my while!!!!! I have marked your final chemo with great joy! My continued hope is that spring is just literally around the corner - I proudly tell anyone who asks that you are on the road to recovery. it was so encouraging to see your peach fuzz at the hospital that day! I'm sure your hair will be lovely when it grows back, and knowing you, you still will have no greys!!!!(this from a jealous sister who started turning grey by 30!). I have been thrilled whenever I talk on the phone to you at how "regular" you sound...this is marvellous! i love you very much.

littlesis said...

I think of you every time I go to pull out a grey hair (or an unwanted hair on my chin...)! I take my hair for granted; I get frustrated by it and on occasion quite like it. You are anticipating the day when you will have hair (and yes, be frustrated by it even!). I can't wait to see your hair grow in--from peachy, patchy fuzz to short chic to whatever form and length it takes! Yes, spring is coming!!!

ruth at comfort cafe said...

I live in the Northwest and it has been raining cats and dogs lately. We long for spring here, too, a break from the continuous gray and watery skies. May the resurrection hope of Easter bring renewed joy and strength in your healing journey. Blessings...

Related Posts with Thumbnails