Thursday 20 March 2008

The "Flowers" Of My Life

I recently attended Canada Blooms, an indoor gardening show that featured various garden displays; and flowers in bloom! It was a refreshing sight after so much snow! It got me thinking about my gardens; the flowers will soon be poking through. There is life in the bulbs of perennials, but it isn't obvious to our eyes until they start to break through the ground. Even though I cannot see my tulips or daffodils or crocuses, that doesn't change their essence of being. I too am like the perennial flowers in that it might not be obvious to my eyes that I look, or feel, like me; but my essence of being has not been changed with the diagnosis of ovarian cancer or the side effects resulting from chemo.

Soon my hair will begin to grow again. My strength is gradually returning. I know that a flower does not instantly appear in full bloom. It takes time for the flower to push through the soil; and for the stalk or stem to grow strong enough to support the flower when it is in full bloom. Not all perennials bloom at the same time; my tiger lilies bloom later than the daffodils, tulips and crocuses. As my strength and physical endurance, gradually and progressively, increase so too will I be able to take part in the activities that I did before this winter season of my life.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails