Saturday 8 March 2008

Milestones On The Road To Health

In the last two weeks I have passed two milestones on my road to health.

On February 27 I had my final dose of chemotherapy. It has been a difficult road with all of the various side-effects that I have experienced. I had such a positive outcome from my surgery that I resented the need for two more chemo treatments. When I had expressed my concerns to the oncologist it was explained that the cancer was responding well to the chemo and therefore they wanted to complete the cycle of treatments. I was encouraged to proceed with my final chemo treatment. After receiving this chemo my attending nurse presented me with a "diploma". This is what it said: "Community Cancer Clinic At Southlake Regional Health Centre is thrilled to present you with this honorary diploma in recognition of your accomplishment and perseverance in completing your chemotherapy treatment! Presented by your nurses, February 27,2008". Printed on the paper is a very young girl with her outstretched arms raised and her mouth open as if she is shouting "Yeah!".

Yesterday was another milestone in that it was the day I was discharged from St. Elizabeth Health Care; which had been ongoing since the beginning of October. The nurses came frequently, as needed, and have been an integral part of my health care. They have seen me at my lowest points and now they felt that I was healthy enough to no longer need their services. There was one nurse in particular, who I had seen the most and she is the one who saw me yesterday. I was given a card to mark the occasion and this is what it said: "Congratulations to you...(hurray for you)...(way to go - you're amazing)...(celebrate)...You did it!...(from start to finish)...(from then to now)...(from dream to reality...)"

While these milestones are to be celebrated, there is one milestone that I want to be true of me at the end of my life here on earth . The Apostle Paul in his letter to Timothy states: "As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me - the crown of righteousness that the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that great day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his glorious return." 2 Timothy 4: 6-8 (NLT)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails