Wednesday 13 February 2008

Chemo Brain Frog

You might have wondered about the title "Chemo Brain Frog", but that is what came into my mind when I wanted to write on the topic of chemo brain fog. My head is all muddled and I find that I can lose my train of thought mid-sentence. It is almost as if my words fall off a cliff, never to be recovered. I get my words mixed up without even trying; they just pop into my mind and are spoken as if they are the correct words. Often as I am saying the wrong word I recognize that that is not really what I wanted to say.

There have been some comical moments such as when I told my home nurse that I was going to have a vascetomy instead of hysterectomy. As soon as I said it I said "no that's not what I meant" and then found the correct word. Sometimes it is rhyming words such as the title of this blog. One morning I saw a box of Shreddies on the table and as I was reaching for a bowl in the cupboard, I thought "I'll have a bowl of Freddies". Now I was not thinking of anyone named Freddie so I have no idea how that came to mind.

I also get phrases mixed up. Sometimes I watch "Little People Big World", but I once said to my daughter "let's watch Big People Little World". Today I found an envelope addressed to me in my Bible. I recognized my husband's handwriting. I thought it was odd that he was giving me an encouragement card today when Valentine's Day is tomorrow. When I opened it it was a Valentines card, he had given it to me a day early. When he called at lunch, I thanked him for the card and said that tomorrow is Valentine's Day. I said "better late than... no I mean better early than not at all". I am glad that I can find humour, and be able to laugh at my blunders, in what could be a source of frustration.

3 comments:

dancer's sister said...

this makes me smile...on the plus side, it's always nice to add more frogs into the family! I am really happy for you! I love you as always!

ruth at comfort cafe said...

You are keeping a great sense of humor. I don't hear well and things I something THINK I hear people say can be pretty funny!

Belinda said...

Dear Debbie,
Laughter is such good medicine. May your fog clear soon and your thoughts be more clear and focused than ever before.

A big hug!

Related Posts with Thumbnails