Friday 22 February 2008

The Promise of Spring

"In that day", says the Lord, "I will be the God of all the families of Israel, and they will be my people. I will care for the survivors as they travel through the wilderness. I will again come to give rest to the people of Israel". Long ago the Lord said to Israel: "I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself. I will rebuild you, my virgin Israel. You will again be happy and dance merrily with tambourines. Again you will plant your vineyards on the mountains of Samaria and eat from your own gardens there." Jeremiah 31: 1-5 (NLT)

There were several phrases that stood out to me as I read that passage that I could apply to myself.

"I will care for the survivors as they travel through the wilderness." I am a cancer survivor. At times it feels as if I am in a "wilderness"; a place that is barren; solitary; far from the rest of human activity. I take great comfort in the fact that God doesn't leave me in that place, but He is with me as I "travel through the wilderness".

"I will rebuild you ... You will again be happy and dance merrily with tambourines". God is the One who will "rebuild" my strength. I see this verse as further confirmation that I will dance again. I want to dance a celebratory dance, just like Miriam did on the shores of the Red Sea after God had delivered Israel from the Egyptians. God has done a mighty deliverance for me too. I was "delivered" from the "jaws of death". Cancer could not hold me. God has healed me from a deadly cancer!

"Again you will plant your vineyards on the mountains of Samaria and eat from your own gardens there".While I may be in a winter season right now, spring is coming; the time for "planting" is near. It will not be in this "valley of the shadow of death", but on the mountains.

1 comment:

littlesis said...

Can't wait to see you dance again!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails