Monday 11 February 2008

Hope Restored

I had my hopes set on this past chemo being my last one. I have regained much of my strength and health in the time between chemo treatments and surgery. It was good to have that break of two months. My body was definitely the healthiest it has been in a long time. This round of chemo hasn't been too bad. I have not been sick and the feelings of nausea have mostly been manageable.

I had allowed myself to spiral downward almost into despair when I found out that I needed to have another chemo treatment. Chemo does take its toll on me. While I am grateful for the good it does in destroying cancer cells, I hate the way it messes with my body. I would not want to discourage anyone from taking chemo, but I can't pretend that it's "a walk in the park".

I had emailed family, friends and our church with the news that I needed to have a total of 6 chemo treatments; the final 2 would be "precautionary" to ensure that any microscopic cancer cells would be destroyed. I received some encouraging emails in reply. I was assured of love and prayer support. I was reminded of God's love and faithfulness to me. I needed my sisters in Christ to help lift me from the edge of despair.

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when dreams come true, there is life and joy." Proverbs 13:12 (NLT)

"A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones." Proverbs 14:30 (NIV)

"An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheer him up." Proverbs 12:25 (NIV)

1 comment:

littlesis said...

I know it was a huge blow to find out about the additional chemo. I was feeling so bad/sad for you when mom told me but I take comfort in the fact that this is with your best interest at heart. It's now 5 down and 1 to go! I'm grateful for the continued support you receive--a word in season--and that your hope is renewed! Faith, Hope, Love! Keep'em strong!

Related Posts with Thumbnails