Monday 21 January 2008

My Two Sisters

I want to tell you about my two sisters, Gayle and Brenda. They have been there for me throughout this season of dealing with ovarian cancer. The day after finding out that I had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, Gayle searched the internet for information regarding the disease; she wanted to do something. She discovered that Ovarian Cancer Canada sponsored a walk to raise funds and awareness, but it had just occurred before I was diagnosed. She had the idea to have a mini walk, in my honour, in her hometown. With only a month to plan she and Brenda contacted their friends and relatives for support. We had the idea to contact a local paper since it was a human interest story. This helped to raise awareness for the disease and strangers even joined the walk. In total around $5000.00 was raised in a month. Since that time both sisters have volunteered to be on a committee for a future fundraising event for Ovarian Cancer Canada.

My sister Brenda has on two occasions driven me to the hospital for my pre-chemo checkups. What is special about that is that she lives almost an hour drive from me and she has needed to arrange babysitting for her youngest son. When I was in Sunnybrook, after my surgery, she came to visit me one day, with her young son, just to keep me company.

I have already written about the Sunshine Basket that my sisters filled with gifts big and small that would help "bring sunshine into a dark time". Gayle and Brenda have been my encouragers and "biggest fans" of my blogs. They have prayed for me; brought lunches; given gifts; at times called daily; visited me at the hospital and at home; and been a voice to call attention to ovarian cancer. I have been blessed to have such women as sisters.

2 comments:

dancer's sister said...

Debbie, thank you for that beautiful tribute...I feel that I have only done what any sister would do in these circumstances- it is painful to sit around and watch one of your own flesh and blood suffer.
All that we have done for you has been a pleasure and indeed a comfort to us in what has been a horrendous chunk of time.
You have dealt with this so bravely, so positively, I truly don't know if I would have been the same...you are an inspiration and I will admire you until day is done for the last time.
Your writing is beautiful and I know that you will be used by God to comfort, encourage, and help other women who will experience this pain.
I love you.

littlesis said...

I'm not sure what to say, Debbie. I think Gayle and I are the blessed ones to be your sisters. It truly has been an honour and privilege (in a strange way) to be able to help you in whatever way I could. You are my sister and it would have been torture to sit and do nothing. Love compells us to action.

Thank you for being so open with your feelings, your doubts and your faith over the last 5 months--truly, truly inspirational. I am so proud of you, to be your sister, and to now say to all who ask, "Yes, my sister is fine! The cancer is gone!"

There were days I feared the worst and many, many times I cried--but now the tears only come out of joy and relief. I know you will be able to offer heartfelt comfort and encouragement to others because you've walked the valley of the shadow and come out in the light!!!!

I love you and thank God for you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails