Thursday 31 January 2008

On Being A Survivor

When I was first diagnosed with ovarian cancer and undergoing treatment, I longed for the day that it could be said of me that I was a cancer survivor. A woman who is a three-year ovarian cancer survivor had visited me in October of last year. She brought me a pin from Ovarian Cancer Canada that is only for survivors. I put it on the baseball cap that my sisters had made to commemorate the mini-walk they had organized to raise funds and awareness for Ovarian Cancer Canada.

What I do struggle with is being marked or labeled "A Cancer Survivor" as if that is the only thing that defines me. When I was first undergoing treatment, I was determined to not allow cancer to define me and I welcomed every opportunity that allowed me to live a normal life apart from the diagnosis. I will always have the physical reminder that I once had ovarian cancer on account of the 6 inch (15cm) vertical scar on my abdomen/pelvis.

My sisters want me to attend a special fundraising event in the spring, which is being put on by Ovarian Cancer Canada. It is a luncheon/fashion show to be held at The Royal York hotel in Toronto. Jeannie Bekker, from Fashion Television and a judge on Canada's Next Top Model, will be there taking part. It will be quite a fancy event given the venue and planned program. I have no idea yet if I will wear my wig or if my hair will be long enough to look fashionable. I do know that I will look forward to being at that event and to be identified as one of the cancer survivors.

2 comments:

littlesis said...

You are definitely more than "a cancer survivor"! You are what all these, and more, entail: wife, mother, sister, daughter, aunt, cousin, neice, friend, dancer, worshipper, follower of Jesus, writer, reader...and on and on. You are you! Being described as a cancer survivor is something that brings INCREDIBLE HOPE to others who are touched by cancer, both for themselves and for those who care about them. I know it does for me! We will be so proud to be by your side at the Celebrate event! You'll look beautiful no matter what!

dancer's sister said...

I wholeheartedly agree with the other comment!!!!You have made me believe in hope again!So often I have hoped for something and often it has not happened. You have happened. Hope was so much a part of this time period and hope prevailed! Our Walk of Hope was definitely also filled with trepidation and worry...I'm not sure this is coming out right, but I am THRILLED you are a cancer survivor. I am proud of the encouragement and hope you will bring to others in this role- among the many you have. Don't fret about the luncheon. You will be among friends - others who will relate to you. We will be proud to introduce you to the wonderful women we have come to know at OCC. I love you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails